Monday, March 1, 2010

A Special Card for a Special Man

This past Friday, my Doctor retired. I have been dreading this day for a long time. I knew it was eventually coming.

Let me explain.

This is no ordinary Doctor. He is someone who treated me like a daughter. I have been going to him since I was 17 (you do the math...it's a long time!). When I was a teenager, I got Hepatitis. That was when I started going to him. The care and concern he showed to me during that time was like none other. He would actually phone me a few times a week at home before he started his day to check in on me. What Doctor does that? He does. And that is just one of the things that makes him a not just a great Doctor, but a great man.

Since that illness, I have been to see him for the ocassional cold, yearly checkups and the normal stuff. I was always greeted with a hug and smile. His bedside manor is soothing and comforting.

So, Friday was his last day. They had a reception at his office so that patients could come and wish him well. It was a mad-house! There were so many people, and no parking! I could say I was amazed, but not really. He has a lot of patients who adore him as much as Ed and I do. It was no surprise that despite the snow and weather, so many people came out to thank him for his service. So, we waited in line, and got to give a last hug, tell him how much his care has meant to us, and sadly, how much we will miss him. Those are some big shoes to fill.

I wanted to make a card that was regal...that was worthy of his years of service. I realized as I went to my stamp cabinet, that I don't have many masculine stamp sets. I guess I need to do something about that.

So, I reached for my new favorite, the old standby that can be a wedding card, shower, sympathy or in this case Retirement Card.

Medallion.

Here is what I came up with.



The paper is Soft Suede, Brushed Gold, and Bella Bleu Designer Series Paper. I stamped Medallion in Versamark and embossed in Gold. I then took a large flower from the Pretties Kit and painted it using my Aqua Painted and Soft Suede Reinker. Once it dried, I went over it with the Champagne Mist Shimmer Paint. The smaller flower I only used the Shimmer paint. Then I added a 1/2 back pearl to the center. The ribbon is the Soft Suede Polka Dot (I used the plain side...love that we have an option!).

We wish our Doctor many years of enjoyment in his retirement. He deserves to enjoy his life, and go sailing and skiing, and all the things he loves. We will sure miss him, but we are happy he is getting to enjoy his time with his family and friends.

Thanks for stopping by!
Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment